Quebec police confirmed in a news briefing that six people had been killed and eight injured, some seriously, in a mass shooting Sunday night at a mosque in suburban Quebec City as worshipers were finishing their prayers.
Government officials called the attack an act of terrorism.
A spokeswoman for the Sûreté du Québec, the Quebec provincial police, said that two suspects had been arrested. Investigations were continuing but the spokeswoman said the police do not believe at this time that others were directly involved in the attack.
One of the suspects was arrested 14 miles east of the mosque along the shore of the St. Lawrence River on the approach to the bridge leading to the Island of Orleans. The bridge was closed by police. The second suspect was arrested close to the mosque.
“The situation is under control, the premises are secure and the occupants were evacuated,” police said in a tweet. “The investigation is ongoing.”
Witnesses said that two gunmen opened fired at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Center. Local media reported that between 60 and 100 people were inside.
“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” the mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui, told Reuters.
Speaking on RDI, Quebec City police spokesman Etienne Doyon said that the shootings took place as prayers were ending Sunday evening.
Witnesses reported that at least two hooded shooters entered the mosque and opened
Article source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/01/29/multiple-people-reported-shot-by-gunmen-at-quebec-city-mosque/
Useful Links: Swiss Watches | Watch Coupons | Coupons | Alu Foam | Security Rooms | Oldtimer | Bitcoin News