North Korea says it successfully launched a missile that can reach US mainland

CLOSE

North Korea fired another intercontinental ballistic missile on Wednesday. The missile traveled about 600 miles before splashing down in the Sea of Japan, according to the Pentagon.
USA TODAY

SEOUL — North Korea said Wednesday that it successfully launched a new type of intercontinental ballistic missile capable of striking “the whole mainland of the U.S.”

The ICBM, called the Hwasong-15, appears to be the longest-range missile ever tested by North Korea. With the launch, North Korea claims it has achieved its goal of becoming a nuclear state. 

North Korean news agency KCNA issued a report stating that the Hwasong-15 carried a “super-large heavy warhead.”  The report said that Kim Jong Un, the 33-year-old leader of the secretive nation, watched the launch and “declared with pride that now we have finally realized the great historic cause of completing the state nuclear force.”

North Korean state television ran a special broadcast on the launch, which showed Kim personally signing the launch order.

The missile flew 600 miles in a high trajectory, but would have had a range of 8,100 miles had it flown in a flat trajectory, according to calculations by David Wright, an expert at the Union of Concerned Scientists. That would make it capable of reaching Washington, D.C. 

The missile was launched from Sain Ni, near the capital of Pyongyang and splashed down into the Sea of Japan, according to the Pentagon. The missile landed inside Japan’s Economic Exclusion Zone. 

Following the launch, President Trump told reporters that the U.S. “will take care of it. … It is a situation that we will handle.”

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said earlier that Trump was briefed “while (the) missile was still in the air.”

In a phone call after the test, Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe “reaffirmed their commitment to combat the North Korean threat,” the White House said. Trump also spoke with South Korean President Moon Jae-in and “reaffirmed their strong condemnation of North Korea’s reckless campaign to advance its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.”

The State Department announced it is launching an international effort to step up pressure on North Korea that could include interdicting ships carrying goods to and from that country. 

Spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the joint U.S.-Canada effort will include 16 countries. “We have always been very clear that we would be open to talks with North Korea. But North Korea is not showing it is willing to sit down and talk,” she said. 

The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) determined the missile was not a threat to North America or U.S. territories.

 More: Trump: North Korea launch will bring Democrats to negotiating table on spending bill

More: Two months without a North Korean missile test is a record for this year

More: Hawaii, eyeing North Korea, readies nuclear war sirens

More: South Korea: North Korea could complete its nuclear program next year

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said the missile went higher than any previous test.

It is not clear whether North Korea has mastered the technology, however, that would allow it to place a miniaturized nuclear warhead on an intercontinental ballistic missile.

Mattis said the latest test “endangers world peace, regional peace and certainly the United States.”

South Korea’s military responded by conducting its own shorter-range missile tests to mimic striking the North Korea launch site, the South Korean Yonhap news agency reported.

“We remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies from any attack or provocation,” Col. Robert Manning, the Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement.

The launch came one day after reports surfaced that the Japanese government had intercepted radio signals suggesting another launch appeared imminent.

NO COMMENTS