Questions abound as Spanish officials investigate terrorist attacks

Two days after a devastating vehicle attack on one of Europe’s most iconic tourist destinations, many questions remained as Spanish authorities continued a manhunt for a 22-year-old missing member of the cell of suspected terrorists responsible for the brutal assault that killed 14 and injured more than 100 others.

Unlike other vehicle attacks Europe has endured in the last two years — in Nice, Berlin, Stockholm and London — Thursday’s in Barcelona and the one early Friday in the nearby seaside city of Cambrils displayed an unusual degree of sophistication and coordination. Authorities are investigating what they believe to be a terrorist cell of at least 12 members with possible bases in different locations across the region of Catalonia.

But the Spanish government was quick to insist on Saturday that the situation was under control. Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido Álvarez said that the 12-person cell had been “dismantled,” and the government ultimately declined to raise the national alert level from four to five, the highest-possible classification.

Inspector Albert Oliva, chief spokesman for the national Catalan police, the local police force spearheading the investigation here, however, cast doubt on the government’s proclamation. “We must remember who is the leader of the investigation,” he said in a press conference, highlighting the

Article source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/questions-abound-as-spanish-officials-investigate-terrorist-attacks/2017/08/19/c296ddc4-8450-11e7-9e7a-20fa8d7a0db6_story.html

Useful Links: Swiss Watches | Watch Coupons | Coupons | Alu Foam | Security Rooms | Oldtimer | Bitcoin News

NO COMMENTS