UFC featherweight Zubaira Tukhugov was seen bragging on social media about assaulting Conor McGregor following UFC 229.
UFC featherweight Zubaira Tukhugov has been self-identified as one of the cornermen of UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov who stormed the UFC 229 Octagon and attacked Conor McGregor following Nurmagomedov’s victory.
Tukhugov posted a video bragging about attacking McGregor, who refused to press charges after several arrests were made in Las Vegas.
“I slapped him as promised,” said Tukhugov. “I promised to make him answer for his words and I did.”
UFC fighter Zubaira Tukhugov is bragging on social media about attacking Conor McGregor at #UFC229: “I slapped him as promised. I promised to make him answer for his words and I did.” pic.twitter.com/Iy2QYlUmEt
— Karim Zidan (@ZidanSports) October 7, 2018
Tukhugov went on to say that McGregor never hit him, a debate that plagues MMA fans all over social media.
“Tell everyone who thinks I was hit, where?”Where, nothing. Just this cop pushed me away, on the video, as if I was hit, in short. Not missed, was not even close.”
The incident stemmed from months of tension between the two teams, with each throwing verbal (and sometimes physical) jabs at each other.
UFC President Dana White told reporters last night that if any UFC fighters were involved in the attacks, they would be banned. He also announced that the previously scheduled fight between Tukhugov and McGregor’s teammate, Artem Lobov, is canceled.
Dana White says that the co-main event of #UFCMoncton featuring Zubaira Tukhugov and Artem Lobov is “definitely” off.
— Aaron Bronsteter (@aaronbronsteter) October 7, 2018
The drama all stems from an incident between Nurmagomedov and Lobov. Nurmagomedov and his team were seen confronting Lobov in the fighter hotel earlier this year. McGregor then attacked a bus holding Nurmagomedov in hopes of confronting the Russian over the video. Things have since evolved to epic proportions due to arrests, and racial and religious slurs.
Tukhugov made his UFC debut at UFC Fight Night 36 – Machida vs. Mousasi in February 2014 where he defeated Douglas Silva de Andrade via unanimous decision. He has not fought in the UFC since UFC 198 in 2016. He also served a two-year suspension handed down by USADA after failing an out-of-competition drug test.